REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
DEADLINE EXTENDED: 5 February 2023
Artists are invited to submit small but impactful works to 'Small Matter', an initiative by Masturah Sha’ari, cofounder and creative director of Maya Gallery. Selected finalists will have the opportunity to be part of an exhibition to celebrate the diverse talents in creating works on a small scale, in various styles, techniques and approaches.
Small Matter acts as a platform for the local artist community to come together to showcase their work. The exhibition will provide an excellent opportunity for first-time buyers or established collectors to own an original artwork at affordable prices. It will be held at Maya Gallery, 57 Genting Lane #05-00 Singapore 349564. Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday 12–6pm (closed on public holidays).
The artist with the best work will be awarded with a cash prize and a solo exhibition to be held at the gallery the following year.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
We invite artists to submit small but impactful works. Selected finalists will have the opportunity to be part of an exhibition to celebrate the diverse talents in creating works on a small scale, in various styles, techniques and approaches.
- • Entries must be 40 cm or less in both height and width (including frame).
- • Paper works must be framed, covered with acrylic/perspex, and not exceeding the size requirements.
- • All mediums are accepted including painting, illustration, design, digital art (printed), photography, collage, printmaking, textiles and mixed media.
- • Entries must not exceed 30 cm in any direction.
- • Sculptural works, whether in ceramic, glass or metalwork, must be able to be displayed on a flat surface.
- Entry is open to living artists from 18 years of age, emerging and established, living in Singapore.
- Entering Small Matter confirms that you are the owner/creator of the work submitted.
- If selected, work delivered to the exhibition must be exactly the same as the image uploaded in submission.
- All 2D works must be complete with hanging wire; 3D works must not weigh more than 15 kg.
- For any works requiring special installation or assemblage, installation will be required on-site by the exhibiting artist.
- If the guidelines/criteria are not met, such as incomplete submission, works not delivered on time, not exhibition-ready, unstable, differing significantly from the entry images, or lacking in presentation or craftsmanship, entries may be omitted from the show.
- All unsold works must be picked up by the artists after the end of the show.
- All artwork must be for sale.
- The gallery will take a 40% commission on all work sold.
- While we promise that we will do our best, we cannot and will not guarantee that your artwork will sell.
DELIVERY & INSURANCE
- Artists are responsible for ALL shipping and framing expenses related to the exhibition.
- While we maintain a Fine Art insurance policy covering artwork on our premises, you are solely responsible for insuring your art while in transit to and from the gallery.
- We will not be liable for any damage / loss of artworks during shipping / delivery to and from the gallery.
- Entries open October 28th 2022; deadline extended to 5 February 2023.
- Each application must be accompanied by a non-refundable Entry Fee of $100 for up to 2 works; $20 each for up to 2 additional works.
- Payment can be made through Paypal/PAYNOW/Bank Transfer with the submission.
- Entry will be judged based on the image photo you upload. For 3D artworks, please use natural light and white background.
- Only selected works will be exhibited. Finalists will be selected by a panel of judges including Maya Gallery cofounders Masturah Sha’ari and Jeffrey Wandly.
- The Judges’ decision is final on all aspects of selection and awarding the prize. No correspondence or appeal will be entered into or considered.
EXHIBITION & MARKETING
- The gallery will take care of the organisation, setting up and communication of the event.
- Artwork entered may be reproduced by any means, in any media for promotional purposes such as media coverage or online publicity. Images uploaded via registration may be reproduced in the Small Matter ecatalogue, if selected as a finalist.
- The ecatalogue will be available during the exhibition.
Please prepare the following documents for online submission:
|JPG / JPEG Files|
- Up to 2 Artwork Images in high resolution (300 dpi) with title, medium, dimensions, year, price (SGD); with correct orientation (horizontal or vertical).
- Up to 2 additional Artwork Images with same requirements (additional fees apply).
- Artist Profile Photo in high resolution (300 dpi).
- Artworks List – table of artworks being submitted, with the description details (as above).
- Artist Biography – tell us about yourself and your background (max 100 words).
- Artwork Statement – brief description of your submitted works (max 100 words).
- Artist CV – complete resume of your educational background, work experiences, participation in exhibitions and projects, awards received (if any).
OCT 28, 2022 : Registration starts
FEB 5, 2023 : Submission Deadline (Extended)
FEB 18, 2023 : Finalists Announcement
MARCH 1–4, 2023 : Arrival of shipped artwork; In-person drop off 12-6 pm
MARCH 18, 2023 : Show opens at Maya Gallery
APRIL 18, 2023 : Show closes at Maya Gallery
APRIL 21, 25–29, 2023 : Pick up of unsold artwork 12-6 pm
For any enquiries on the Open Call, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Header: OPEN CALL - SMALL MATTER 2023 [Artist Name].